Pages

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Chances and Hard Work Bring Rewards!


Sometimes, life rewards curiosity and hard work.

I started my part-time job at Macy's awhile ago and was working in Women's Petites and Better Collections.  Because I couldn't find any shifts available in the clothing departments, I ended up only working a few hours there. 

One day, I got a call from Human Resources asking me if I was available to pick up shifts as a Women's Shoe Department Cashier.  I wanted to work so decided to take up the offer out of curiosity.  I had tried my hand in clothes so why not try out shoes?  I really enjoy attempting new things.  

When I started, I needed a lot of guidance but got into the swing of things rather quickly. There was only one problem: I can't sit still, no matter where I am, so when it slowed down, I started being a busybody.

In the clothing department, when there was ever downtime at the register, I would walk the floor and start organizing the racks, picking up clothes off the floor, asking customers if they needed any assistance, checking the fitting room for any clothes left behind, and sorting/returning clothes to the departments they belonged to. So, when I started working in the shoe department, even though I really only needed to sit at the register and ring up prices for the sales associates,  whenever it wasn't busy, I would walk the floor, making sure all customers were being helped and offered to find an associate if they needed a pair of shoes (as the ringer, I was not allowed to go back to the warehouse to find the shoes for the customers).  When all the customers were being assisted and trying on shoes, I would scan the floor for trash and tidy up the area. 

The manager, who at the time I didn't realize was the supervisor in the area, really liked me and asked me if I could come in the next day.  She also asked also if I wanted to stay in Shoes, which would give me more flexible weekend hours (whenever I wanted to work, I'd be able to get it!) and also include commission with the base pay. I couldn't believe it and had to think about it before accepting.

All my life, I have always followed the principle that one should earnestly work hard at everything and never give in to idleness. I have always tried my best and knew when to stop and when to continue. This event showed me that working hard is rewarding. 

So no matter what, always try! And it never hurts to smile to everyone you meet! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment